Moving your Photo Albums over from Windows Live To WordPress.
September 29, 2010 43 Comments
This how to is specifically aimed at all those Spacers who are requesting that they be able to transfer not only their blog to WordPress but also their photo albums they have stored on Windows Live. Here is a step by step through transferring them over to WordPress.
NOTE! WordPress does not allow as much storage for your photos for free as is available on Windows Live, therefore it might be prudent to choose only those albums from Windows Live that you really want to associate with your blog on WordPress. Any other Photo Albums might best be either left on Windows Live or if you intend to not visit there once your blog is transferred to WordPress, then it might be better to alternatively download them and store them all on an external drive or DVD.
1. First of all, you will need to download each album that you wish to transfer from your Windows Live photos to your computer so firstly go to your home page on Windows Live, and click on Photos followed by clicking on Your Albums.
2. Next, click on the Album that you wish to transfer over to WordPress media. Click on More and then select Download from the drop down list. You will be offered a choice of downloading to either Photo Gallery or as a .zip file.
3. Choose to download with Photo Gallery if you have that installed on your computer. If you haven’t got it installed then download your photo album as a .zip file instead.
4. Once your album has been downloaded, it will be available in Photo Gallery or alternatively you can unzip the file if you had to use that method of download. Unzip the photos to a created folder to make it easier when you export them to WordPress.
5. Next, you will need to go to your WordPress Dashboard. Once there, click on Media from the sidebar. Its found on the left hand side of your dashboard under Posts. This is your photo library. You can add one photo or several in a Gallery or slideshow to any of your blog posts on WordPress besides adding them inside a post as a thumbnail in Live Writer if you prefer.
6. Click on Add New. You will see the following screen. NOTE. You can only add 1GB of files at a time.
7. Click on Select Files button. You will then see all of the files available on your computer. Go to your pictures library and select the folder that contains your album photos that you wish to transfer to WordPress.
8. Select those photos from your folder that you wish to transfer (in my case all of them) and then click on Open. Your photos will then begin to upload to your WordPress media.
9. Once they have all uploaded to your WordPress media, click on Save Changes at the bottom of that screen.
You might want to attach them to a certain blog post you are going to publish. Let’s say that you intend to do a post about a holiday and these are your holiday snaps, or maybe you are blogging about an event such as a wedding and would love to include all the photos you took either as a Gallery or a slideshow and attach them to a blog post. In my next how-to, I’ll show you how to do just that by showing you how to include any of the photos you have in your Media files on WordPress.com with any of your blog posts on WordPress.com.