Adding a Slideshow of your photos to a blog post in WordPress.
September 30, 2010 56 Comments
As I have previously published a post on the subject of displaying a slideshow or Gallery of your pictures inside a blog post, may I first of all take the opportunity to point readers to my this post at https://technograns.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/beginning-blogging-11-slideshows-and-galleries/#more-1092 where you will find detailed step by step instructions on how to do both. However, as many bloggers who have been using Windows Live Spaces as their blogging platform tend to make use of Windows Live writer to compose their blog posts, I thought it might be also helpful to show you all how to incorporate both a slideshow and Gallery into a post composed with Writer rather than the WordPress online editor.
1. Compose your blog post as usual using Live Writer. Take note of the title of your post, you’ll need to remember it later.
2. You can include some photos and pictures in amongst the post if you usually tend to do this or if you prefer just simply have text. These will be added to the WordPress Media as two thumbnails for each picture that you include inside the actual blog post with Live Writer.
3. Now following the instructions given in my last post, go to your dashboard, select Media and then Add New, then upload all of your photos or pictures that you would like to incorporate into that particular blog post. For this how-to, I’m going to use some cat photos (which of course have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual contents of this post, and are just for demo purposes only.)
4. At this stage, we can’t attach them to our blog post because we haven’t published it yet. So we are going to have to firstly publish our post up to our WordPress blog before we can incorporate the slideshow.
5. Once your post is published to your WordPress blog, go to your Dashboard again, then click on Media and then Library.
6. Next tick all of the photos or pictures that you wish to attach to your new post either as a Gallery or a Slideshow. .
7. Next, click on Attach at the right hand side of one of the ticked photos or pictures. A new window will open.
8. Inside the Search field at the top of the newly opened window, type in the title you gave that post earlier. I hope you remembered it!
9. Click on Search and then when the post is shown, click in the small circle next to it and then click on Select.
10. Now all of your chosen photos and pictures should state that they are attached to that new post.
11. In order to create our Slideshow, we now need to add our media to the post by editing it. So click on Posts from your dashboard and select that latest post. by clicking on Edit.
12. Now we need to add our photos that we wish to incorporate into our Slideshow or Gallery so click on the Media icon from above the online editor. ( see picture below)
13. A new window will open. Note that our photos are already available as a Gallery so click on the word Gallery from the top of that new window.
14. Next you need to select those pictures to include in your Gallery or in your Slideshow. If you decide to show them inside your post as a Gallery, then you can number then in order if you wish. Select Save Changes at the bottom of your chosen photos if you have re-ordered them in the list, and then select either Gallery or alternatively Slideshow.
Once you select either one, you will now be back in the online editor screen. If you have chosen Slideshow, the word will have been placed exactly where your cursor was placed inside the text, either at the beginning or wherever you had placed it. If you need to change this, say its at the beginning of your text and you prefer it at the end of the post, then delete the bracketed word Slideshow and then scroll through your post to the end and then place it there surrounded by square brackets.
14. Lastly click on Update at the left hand side of the online editor. Now go and take a look at your post complete with those photos as a Slideshow or a Gallery.