From Spaces to WordPress step by step. Keeping in touch with friends.
October 13, 2010 4 Comments
10. Keeping in touch with your friends.
So you’ve moved your blog over to WordPress. You’ve settled in with a nice shiny new theme. Sorted out your Widgets. Published a post. But, how do you find your ex Spacers friends on here and more importantly, keep in touch with them and their blog posts etc?
1. Firstly, go back to Windows Live and try to access their Space on there. If they haven’t moved yet, you will still be able to visit it and also in a comment you could just leave your new WordPress.com address so that they will easily be able to find your new home on here. If they have already moved over here, but have not been able to use their old name etc on WordPress, you should be automatically directed to their new blog on WordPress when you try to access their Space from their Profile page on Windows Live.
2. If you visit a friends blog post on WordPress, first thing you need to do on your arrival is take a look at the WordPress Navibar at the top of their blog page. This bar is accessible everywhere on WordPress.com and contains all those ‘shortcuts’ to areas that you are usually going to find the most useful. Click on Subscribe from your Navibar.
3. Next, click on Subscribe to Blog from the drop down. Continue to do this on every one of your friends WordPress blogs that you pay a visit to. Eventually you will build up quite a list of friends blogs that you have subscribed to on WordPress.
4. Whenever you wish to see if any of your friends have written a new blog post and want to go and read it, simply click on My Subscriptions from your WordPress Navibar, and then from the drop down list, select Read my Subscriptions. A list of all of your friends blogs will be shown showing the very latest posts for today right at the top.
5. You have a few choices to make on this page, you can simply Like a post, Reblog that post or by clicking on the Title of the post (in blue) go to that persons blog page to read that post.
6. Not only that, but you can also receive an email notification every time that friend publishes a new post to their WordPress blog. (Similar to how Windows Live Alerts used to work.) Here’s how,
7. From that page , click on Manage Blog Subscriptions at the top of the list of blogs. You can now view the entire list of other blogs on WordPress that you have subscribed to, and decide whether or not to choose to receive an email notification and how often. You can choose to receive an email Instantly, Daily, Weekly or Never by clicking on the box and accessing the drop down list. You can set this up for each persons blog individually. The default setting is Never.
8. You can also choose to have a notification sent to the Jabber Instant Messenger service. Notice that on the right hand side of the list of your subscribed blogs are the latest posts made in the WordPress.com blog.
Once you have set all this up, there is absolutely no need to miss any new blog posts from any of your friends. When you receive the email to your inbox you will be able to ‘click through’ from the email in order to read that persons latest post by simply clicking on ‘View Online’ from the top of the email.
So, no excuses not to keep up with all of your friends new posts on WordPress!